Saturday, August 05, 2006

It Is Finished

We've bought a new computer. After going to an Apple Store and trying out a Mac, we decided to stick with a PC.

The Mac OS X environment was just ... off. For example, the little min, max and close buttons were on the wrong side of the upper bar. On the left? That makes no intuitive sense. Most people are right-handed, and are likely to move the cursor off to the right to get it out of the way. Therefore, having those buttons on the right side makes sense. Possibly that can be customized, but I looked at five or so computers, and they all had that same annoying feature. And that little tool bar hide button? WTF is that about? I don't really need a specialized feature for that.

Other annoying features:

1) The email program would indicate when a word was misspelled, but it wouldn't make any suggestions for the correction. (The word processing program did have that function, so all was not lost.)

2) I tried out the Mac version of Microsoft Office. Excel was so strangely configured that I had no idea what the hell was going on at first. Pages laid out side by side like a bunch of loose leaf notebook paper? I practically live in Excel spreadsheets for 40+ hours a week, and I had never seen that kind of lay-out before. Not to mention that getting the toolbars set up correctly was a hassle. (I am very particular about my toolbars in Excel.) That was a definite minus.

3) The Safari web browser refused to expand beyond a certain dimension.If you're going to have all of that screen but not use it, then what's the point.

Perhaps we could learn how to do all of these things, but why bother? Frankly, the inutuitive nature of the Mac is over-rated.

On the plus side, the Macs are a nifty little package. Very compact, although the keyboard looked like a toy. I'm not sure how I felt about the mouse. We were standing the whole time, so the angle made using the mouse uncomfortable. (Not to mention that it was almost as hot in the store as it was outside, and much stuffier. Sweating like a football player in training camp didn't enamour me of the whole "Apple Experience" (tm). Have those primitives from California not heard of that fine invention the air conditioner?)

So a general feeling of being in Bizarro Computing Land coupled with physical discomfort made us decide "The Hell with this!" So we took the advice of the IT guy from my wife's job, and went with the PC he recommended. Now all we have to do is wait for it to arrive.

4 comments:

Mark Daniels said...

Wow, Ice! My family and I switched to a Mac two years ago and instantly fell in love with it. And it's never crashed or been even gotten close to a virus. We all find it very intuitive.

Our son, far more computer-savvy, bought an Apple laptop and loves it, too.

But, isn't it interesting how different people's reactions to Apples can be.

Icepick said...

Well, I am still considering buying an Apple laptop sometime, if I can pick one up fairly cheaply. Maybe if I play around with it some more I will come to like it.

But the key thing at this point in time is that I need to have Windows to run certain programs. I was considering the Mac with the idea that we could run Windows on it, but it just didn't seem to be worth the effort. Maybe if the Leopard operating system handles Windows more conveniently....

Incidentally, do any of you run Windows on your Macs? If so, how does it seem to work?

amba said...

I don't run Windows on my Mac, so I can't answer that. However, someone showed me that you can minimize the "dock" at the bottom and that allows Safari's window to expand a lot more.

(VW: egaoexcz

the deluxe model, for someone too important to have just a plain old ego)

Icepick said...

Amba wrote: (VW: egaoexcz

the deluxe model, for someone too important to have just a plain old ego)


I thought that was the name of the new hybrid strech limo....