Friday, November 03, 2006

A Better Use of Time...

...than worrying about global warming would be worrying about the health of our oceans. I haven't read this too closely, so it may be a bit on the alarmist side, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's a stone cold sober assessment. [Later: Having read the article a little more closely, it appears to be a sober view. It's not like this study represents the first study of oceanic problems.]

Seriously, wasting time worrying and arguing about global warming is stupid. The oceans are a much more serious concern. If the oceans die, the biosphere dies. And to get an idea of what's going on, go to your search engine of choice and type in "Dead Zones". When I do it, I don't see anything about Dragonball Z, and I see a lot about the oceans.

2 comments:

amba said...

That's what made this story so rare and heartening.

Icepick said...

Yes, actually! I especially liked the fact that people were doing it for economic reasons. It's usually easier to get people to do something if it hits their pocket-book directly.

Another story (linked in another post above) thinks this story is way over-board. It may be, but I'm not totally convinced. Dead zones, parasites on the Great Barrier Reef, polution and parasites from the huge amount of ocean going traffic, etc has me concerned. The good news is that oceans do seem to recover quickly. Still, that first step has to be taken....