Monday, June 11, 2007

What I learned today.

Today, I finally learned the origin and meaning of a new (to me, at least) derogatory word, namely the word "jit". I've been hearing or reading this word a lot lately, and had no idea what it meant. It was obvious from usage that it was derogatory, and seemed as though it had some racial overtone. But that last part wasn't clear because sometimes it would refer to a member of one race, and sometimes it would refer to someone of another race entirely. I was confused.

So today, after seeing the term used again in the comments here, I just had to find out what the heck this term means. Once again, Wikipedia to the rescue!

Jit may refer to: J.I.T. Juvenile Delinquent in Training: Southern slang used to describe the "Thug" youth element. This term has origins in the "Youth Correctional System".
Well, now I can rest easier, knowing the meaning and origin of the term. Still, not a term that's work-safe....

No comments: