Thursday, February 28, 2008

Oddly enough ...

I can only find the transcript for one of my favorite SNL pieces online, but not a clip of the piece itself. NBC must be really good at pounding people into the dust on the internet. The skit was Harry Anderson's "Needle thru Arm" routine, a transcript of which can be found here. Oddly enough, there are a large number of clips of amateurs doing the "Needle thru Arm" trick. Incidentally, looking for the clip I came across this helful bit of advice:

(WARNING: only use rubber cement NOT contact cement. Using contact cement on your skin will result in a permanent connection to the skin. Extremely painful when removing from skin.)
Somehow I had forgotten that this was the Ron Howard episode, which featured the great "Opie's Back!" skit.
Opie: [walks over to window] Oh, I sure wish Pa was here. He'd know what to do.

[Andy's head appears in the upper-left corner of the screen]

Andy: What's the matter, Ope? You got a problem?

Opie: Pa! Pa, is that you? I need your help. I came back to clean up Mayberry, but I can't. They took my gun!

Andy: Aw, a gun never solved anything. I never carried one. You wanna get people over to your side, [winks] do what I did! Talk to 'em, reason with 'em. And if that doesn't work, ball up your fists and hit 'em upside the head![grins] How do you think I kept Aunt Bea in line?

No comments: