Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Job Security

Bob Dole came up in the comments of another thread, which reminded me that in 1996 Bob Dole resigned his Senate seat after he secured the Republican nomination for President. I know Obama won't do the same, but I was wondering about Biden since his term is up at the end of this year. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, technically early in 2009.) It turns out Joe is running for two jobs at once. I'm sure his Senate re-election bid won't distract from his VP bid - his seat is safe, and mostly he just needs his name on the ballot. McCain is also keeping his Senate seat. (McCain and Obama aren't up for re-election until 2010.)

I do find it interesting to see if or how people hedge their bets - it gives some indication of how sure they are of their plans. Apparently none of these men are sure of victory.

Added: A commenter reminds me that Lieberman did the same thing in 2000. I think that this has actually become fairly common practice. (Didn't LBJ have Texas state law changed so he could do the same thing in 1960?) I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I think I'm opposed to it. To choose a specific example, shouldn't a Senator for a state owe his first alligiance to the voters who elected him as their representative? How many votes, hearings, etc, have McCain & Obama missed in the last two years? Is that what their supporters back in Arizona and Illinois wanted when they last elected them? (I imagine that in the case of Obama the answer may well be "YES!") This would seem to be even worse for someone in an executive position, a la Bush II in 2000.

2 comments:

AnastasiaBeaverhausen said...

Remember that Lieberman did the same thing in 2000.

XWL said...

There oughta be an amendment . . .

(I didn't call it a 'proposal', cause I'm serious about this one)