Thursday, September 04, 2008

Somehow it keeps getting worse.

Excerpts from Andrew Sullivan, who live blogged Sarah Palin's speech tonight:

10.40 pm. We've just seen a picture of a seven year old cradling and stroking the hair of a Down Syndrome infant. This, apparently, is relevant to deciding who should be the next vice-president of the United States....

10.49 pm. Piper is poking Trig in the eye!...

10.50 pm. I have to say that the affect is of someone running for high school president....

10.56 pm. Obama wants to reduce American power and prevent energy production. The mockery of Obama from Palin is striking. I don't recall anyone mocking McCain at the DNC.

11.05 pm. Every time the camera pans to McCain's mother, she seems mortified. I don't really blame her. Can you imagine what she was thinking as a tiny special needs baby is passed from person to person for the cable news. [Emphasis added]

There are other problems with his commentary, but the most amazing thing is his utter contempt for the Palin family, especially the children. The slam on McCain's mother is also horrible. Hey Andrew, what's it like beating up on infants, little girls and old women? And he has the nerve to complain that Palin attacked Obama! In-fucking-credible.

As for McCain being mocked at the DNC: How about all of the cracks about McCain and his houses? How about this scornful, sneering line from Obama's acceptance speech?
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the gates of hell — but he won't even go to the cave where he lives.
Wonderful! Obama managed to call McCain a phony and a coward with this line, but Sullivan doesn't think this counts as mockery. And can we mention Obama's continuing misrepresentation of a (admittedly poor) McCain joke? Yes we can!
Now, I don't believe that Sen. McCain doesn't care what's going on in the lives of Americans. I just think he doesn't know. Why else would he define middle class as someone making under 5 million dollars a year?
Obama (knowingly) misrepresents McCain's remark at the Saddleback Forum. Here's McCain's comment in context:
WARREN: Everybody talks about, you know, taxing the rich, but not the poor, the middle class. At what point, give me a number, give me a specific number. Where do you move from middle class to rich? […]

MCCAIN: How about $5 million? No, but seriously, I don’t think you can, I don’t think seriously that the point is I’m trying to make, seriously, and I’m sure that comment will be distorted but the point is…that we want to keep people’s taxes low, and increase revenues. … So, it doesn’t matter really what my definition of rich is because I don’t want to raise anybody’s taxes. I really don’t.
But Obama misrepresents this damned near every time he opens his mouth.

Obama's campaign at the moment seems to be exclusively about two things: McCain can't remember that he has seven houses, and Sarah Palin has only been the Mayor of a small town. Which gets me to another point of mockery: The Democrats have been refusing to acknowledge that Palin has done anything with her life other than be Mayor of a small town.

So, to sum up: mocking Obama's thin résumé is beyond the pale, but attacking children, slandering adults, sneering at old women, calling POWs cowards, and misrepresenting facts lying about one's opponents is okay. The only thing that matters if if you're a Republican (in which case you can do no right) or a Democrat (in which case everything, and I mean everything, is acceptable.)

This is easily the most revolting national campaign I can personally remember.

Added: XWL does an excellent job slagging Sullivan's comments in their entirety.

3 comments:

XWL said...

I had forgotten that part, so Sully was even worse than I made him sound.

Why am I not surprised?

Pastor_Jeff said...

"Fight the smears ... by coming up with better ones!"

Hurricane Heather said...

Track is a sport.
Bristol is a NASCAR race.
Willow is a really bad Val Kilmer movie.
Piper is an aircraft.
Trig is a subject I flunked in college.
She gives horrible names to her kids.
Other than, she's freaking awesome.