Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Now here is some career advice...

... that's completely worthless. From CNN & CareerBuilder.com:

Experts: Goof off at work, read a book, ignore e-mail
As someone who got fired for doing some of the things recommended in this article, I can tell you that it is 100% full of shit. It doesn't matter if these techniques make you more efficient or not - I had become 8 times more efficient at my job and I still got fired. (That eight times was actually a quantifiable and verified number too, not just some number I pulled from out of my hat.) The truly important things to do on the job are:
  1. Suck up to the boss, no matter how miserable a human being he is
  2. Don't give them any excuse to fire you.

That second point also means that you shouldn't do your job too well. That's guaranteed to draw unwanted attention to yourself.

No comments: