Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A counting problem

Among the many problems I have with Obama is an inability to count. From his Inauguration Speech:

Forty-four Americans have now taken the presidential oath.
That is incorrect. Only forty-three Americans have taken the Presidential Oath - Grover Cleveland was both the 22nd and 24th President. Doh!

To be fair, though, I didn't figure this out. Kim did. I just assumed that everyone else knew what they were talking about. Let this be another lesson to me: Always maintain a cynical attitude towards authority, even on the simple issues!

ADDED: Kim wasn't the only person to notice.

AND LATER STILL: "Forebearers"? Bush's "decider" is better than that! "Decider" also has the advantage of being a real word - at least it was in my old college dictionary, listed under "decide". "Forebearers" is nowhere to be seen. Not only that, but it sounds bad. So much for Obama's supposed verbal elegance....

No comments: