Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Random Quote

Near the creek, well hidden, was one of my hiding places, which I had made carefully and used often. I had torn away two or three low bushes and smoothed the ground; all around were more bushes and tree branches, and the entrance was covered by a branch which almost touched the ground. It was not really necessary to be so secret, since no one ever came looking for me here, but I liked to lie inside with Jonas and know that I could never be found. I used leaves and branches for a bed, and Constance had given me a blanket. The trees around and overhead were so thick that it was always dry inside and on Sunday morning I lay there with Jonas listening to his stories. All cat stories start with the statement: "My mother, who was the first cat, told me this," and I lay with my head close to Jonas and listened. There was no change coming, I thought here, only spring; I was wrong to be so frightened. The days would get warmer, and Uncle Julian would sit in the sun, and Constance would laugh when we worked in the garden, and it would always be the same. Jonas went on and on ("And then we sang! And then we sang!") and the leaves moved overhead and it would always be the same.
- from Shirley Jackson's novel We Have Always Lived in the Castle

Note: Don't read the blurb at Amazon if you ever intend to read the book. The less you know beforehand the better the read.

2 comments:

Hurricane Heather said...

Okay, so are you telling me to go to my local library and read this book?

A blog stalker of mine says I write like her.

justkim said...

You should absolutely read it! It's kind of like Housekeeping, only better!

You should also read Jackson's semi-fictional memoir Life among the Savages. I laughed so hard that I almost hurt myself. T said I could only read it under adult supervision from that point on, in case I choked.

I'm following your blog, and I'm thrilled you and the pirates are having such a good time.

Also, I think I stumbled on something you might be interested in. It's not a time-critical thing, so when you get back we should have lunch.