Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wedding Gear

A friend is getting married in a couple of months and I've been asked to be a groomsman. I accepted, of course, and even had some helpful recommendations on how we should dress. I sent the following email:

How could I possibly say ‘No’ to the man that drove all over Hell and Creation with a half-shaved face to figure out a scheme to get me to the Super Bowl. “We’s gonna catch ourselves a feee-ush.” [*]

For the tuxes, I recommend lavender, with very wide lapels, very big matching bow ties (“It must be – the BOOOOOW tie….”), and shirts with massive amounts of ruffles. Or is the Leisure Suit Larry thing not what we’re going for?

Of course, we’d all have to grow mustaches for the look to work.

[* But that is another story....]
Naturally, there have been questions. Another groomsman asked:
Question - should the pant legs need to just barely show the white socks at the bottom?
I replied:
I don't think so. I believe they should be of the correct length. But they should definitely be flared. Not quite bell bottoms, but definitely flared.
Truth be told, I'm not sure what to do about shoes - shoes and accessories are always the trickiest part.

But just to make everything clear, here's how it breaks down.

The tux:

The shirt:

The bow tie:

The 'stache:

If we can just get the right shoes and belts....

2 comments:

Icepick said...

And for those wondering where this fine assortment of clothing came from....

The tux, from Vintage Trends.com, photoshopped for color.

The shirt, also from Vintage Trends.

The bow tie, from BeautiesLTD.com

And the 'stache, courtesy of Ron Burgundy, specific imagine from Ben's Breakfast Blog.

Donna B. said...

I got married in 1971. Except for the color... you've got the look JUST RIGHT.