Tuesday, July 06, 2010

World Cup!

Mostly I've been annoyed by all the World Cup coverage. Really, I do not know a single person that gives a damn. Yet everywhere I turn I find coverage. On the opening day of the Cup the local paper (Orlando Sentinel) featured a page ONE above the fold story in its print edition. The World Series doesn't get that kind of coverage, and the NBA only merits that kind of attention when the Magic are deep in the playoffs. Only the Super Bowl (always) and the Olympics (sometimes) normally receive that kind of front page attention.

Honestly, we do not care! I don't have a problem with the rest of the world loving the sport, but we do not. Stop with all the rah-rah internationalist BS.

I do have to admit, however, that I find it particularly funny that the first World Cup held in Africa is being dominated by Europe. The more things change....

But then, soccer is one of the whitest sports this side of water polo.

No comments: